Shipyard – Barge Mechanic
I. BASIC FUNCTION
Maintain and repair engines and equipment onboard tank barges as assigned and ensure they are suitable for their intended service.
1. Perform preventive and routine repair & maintenance on barge machinery/equipment ranging from oil changes to engine overhauls.
2. Troubleshoot equipment/engine problems and provide on-site service and repair.
3. Provide non-routine maintenance onboard barges as needed.
4. Performs other duties as required to include barge product transfers, cleanings, etc.
5. This position requires the ability to work an on-call schedule. May not take vacation during assigned on-call schedule without formal approval from the Liquid Barge Operations Manager.
6. This position may involve travel to multiple locations.
7. Perform other duties as required and directed by management.
8. Carry out the Business Philosophy, Code of Conduct, and mission of Canal Barge Company, Inc.
III. ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP
This position reports to the Liquid Barge Operations Manager.
IV. EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
• Minimum high school education or equivalent
• Minimum 5 years of experience in repair, maintenance, and troubleshooting machinery and equipment.
• Knowledge of tank barge systems preferred.
• Knowledge of electrical systems.
• Familiarity with applicable code of federal regulations.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently and follow instruction.
V. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Physical requirements of the job include climbing ladders and stairs, repetitive bending and stooping, lifting heavy marine equipment, and lifting objects from various levels ranging from 10-100 pounds. Ability to work outdoors in all elements during all seasons.
Benefits of Joining the Illinois Marine Towing Family
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO/AA/M/F/D/V) Employer offering competitive wages and benefits and the opportunity for a career.