LABORATORY – QUALITY ASSURANCE COORDINATOR
Primary function is to implement and refine the Product Quality Management program. (See attached Product Quality and Safety Management System Elements diagram.)
- Serve as a liaison between the laboratory, logistics and operations to assist in the implementation of product quality processes.
- Evaluate product characteristics and relative risks.
- Manage key product handling criteria to maximize product safety and minimize quality non-conformances.
- Oversee vapor scrubber media quality and coordinate service with the Terminal Supervisor and Compliance Manager to ensure optimal performance of the system.
- Monitor inhibitor levels in terminal customer product and coordinate adjustments with Lab Group Manager, the Lab and Operations. Manage inhibitor inventories.
- Monitor temperature management program for applicable products. Ensure products are maintained at Customer-defined temperatures. Monitor automated tank management system to track temperatures. Review temperature management logs. Coordinate with Operations to ensure conformance.
- Oversee pre-discharge/transfer verification process i.e., dockline testing, barge sampling, etc.
- Participate in commissioning/decommissioning of tank systems
- Coordinate collection of terminal environmental and customer product samples with lab and operations. This includes outfalls, rail cars, tank trucks, tanks, docklines, product lines, and barges. Individual will collect rail car, tank, product line or barge samples during their shift and will monitor sample collection activities overall to assure consistent, accurate and timely sampling of required samples.
- Manage sampling equipment selection, maintenance and replacement.
- Provide ongoing training of new and current operators on chemical characteristics, relevance of testing conducted, and proper sampling techniques.
- Perform testing for CTC samples to facilitate generation of results per performance criteria. May assist in environmental sample analysis as available.
- Collect product inventory data for inventory reconciliation.
- Manage terminal and laboratory waste program including the sample decanting program and waste drums in cooperation with Compliance Manager and Operations.
- Conduct quarterly quality program audits. Report findings to CTC Management Team. Participate in implementation of corrective actions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and experience in quality management systems (3-5 years).
- Chemistry background important. Science degree strongly recommended. 3-5 years laboratory experience and some experience in lab QA/QC programs.
- Experience with handling and managing hazardous waste and hazmat shipping requirements.
- Valid driver’s license
- Troubleshooting, problem solver
- Must be very organized and be attentive to details and time critical schedules.
- Key skills include quick learner, excellent communication skills, ability to multi-task, flexible and works well independently.
- Flexible, open to a demanding and varying schedule
Position involves physical work in extreme climate conditions – heat and cold. Physical requirements of the job include potentially daily climbing of bulk storage tanks (up to 100 stairs), reaching into rail cars, barges, and other sampling locations. Must be capable of opening manways, placing and removing sampling equipment that may weigh up to 60 pounds, must be able to carry sampling equipment over areas where a vehicle cannot travel. Work environment includes industrial and laboratory chemicals and wastewater samples.